This program innovates in Chile by focusing on the training of graduates with excellence in research in theoretical and experimental systems in different areas of Applied Sciences with a systemic view, specifically in the field of Aquatic Systems, thus contributing to national and regional scientific development.
This program has a well-defined scientific and systemic character, as well as a defined biological orientation. Our graduates are prepared to plan and carry out original research in the various topics and/or scientific and technological issues of Aquatic Systems and their services, aiming to ensure their sustainable productive development.
Our research scope goes from the depths of the Atacama Trench to the high Andean aquatic environments.
Our academics mainly conduct research within the Patterns and Processes in Aquatic Ecology field, which includes both the marine and freshwater aspects of ecology relating to Population and Communities Ecology organization levels, and its interfaces with Genetic, Evolutionary, and Biogeographical processes. Including interactions on parasitic and epidemiological levels. Aquatic Resources Management includes both basic and applied aspects of Aquaculture, Fisheries, and Biotechnology in marine and freshwater areas. Aquatic Systems Environment and Conservation focuses on aspects of environmental application and conservation in the marine and freshwater areas within the following fields: Eco-toxicology/Pollution, Invasive Species, Paleo-oceanography / Sedimentology, Modeling, Extreme and Desert Environments, Biological Oceanography.
The program is taught at the University of Antofagasta's Faculty of Marine Sciences and Biological Resources, and is strengthened through a wide national and international network of visiting professors. The University of Antofagasta is strategically located in the central zone of the Humboldt Current's Outcrop Ecosystem.
Duration: The curriculum has a duration of 4 years.
- To train scientists with holistic mindsets and provide them with the skills to autonomously develop basic research motivated by application, with a strong conceptual and methodological component that allows them to identify and propose creative and sustainable solutions in the aquatic systems field: from the deep ocean to Altiplanic systems, in a global change context. Graduates will have the skills to lead and take part in specialized multidisciplinary research teams, communicate relevant scientific information to their peers, decision makers, and the community at large.
- To train researchers with a critical spirit, capable of being a part of and leading cutting-edge research groups inspired by the application of knowledge in aquatic systems associated with desert-ocean-Altiplano interactions.
- To promote the development of cutting-edge knowledge and the usage of analysis tools that allow for a comprehensive training as a scientist. To train researchers who are able to generate creative and sustainable solutions to problems in the aquatic systems field regarding desert-ocean-Altiplano interactions.
- To promote a holistic training that allows them to take part in academic, public, and productive environments.
- To promote and communicate scientific knowledge to society, promoting and improving national, regional, and international development in accordance with institutional objectives.
A graduate of the Doctorate in Applied Sciences with a mention in Aquatic Systems will have the skills to generate and take part in cutting-edge knowledge into the solution of problems associated with basic and applied science in aquatic systems in a sustainable manner, organizing research teams and communicating scientific knowledge to society.
- Demonstrating deep conceptual and methodological skills for the formulation of scientific questions, with a reflexive and critical attitude based in furthering the development of knowledge of aquatic systems regarding ocean-desert-Altiplano interactions.
- Identifying, characterizing, and evaluating problems and phenomena that can be addressed through the application of scientific knowledge in the aquatic systems field regarding ocean-desert-Altiplano interactions.
- Proposing creative solutions to problems related to aquatic systems, that also contemplate a proper assessment of sustainability in aquatic systems.
- Being a part of and leading interdisciplinary research teams, contributing as a scientist to the resolution of problems in the aquatic systems field.
- Formulating, as well as independently and creatively carrying out, scientific research projects; thus generating new knowledge applicable to the resolution of problems in aquatic systems within the context of sustainability.
- To communicate scientific knowledge and research results, adapting to both academic and non-academic contexts and promoting its distribution, to contribute to sustainable development.
Patterns and Processes in Aquatic Ecology: this research area includes marine and freshwater aspects of Ecology in relation to Population and Communities Ecology organization levels, and their interactions with Genetic, Evolutionary and Biogeographic processes. Including interactions on parasitic and epidemiological levels.
Aquatic Resources Management: includes both basic and applied aspects of Aquaculture, Fisheries, and Biotechnology in marine and freshwater areas.
Aquatic Systems Environment and Conservation: focuses on aspects of environmental application and conservation in the marine and freshwater areas within the following fields: Eco-toxicology/Pollution, Invasive Species, Paleo-oceanography / Sedimentology, Modeling, Extreme and Desert Environments, Biological Oceanography.
The curriculum consists of 6 basic courses, corresponding to 70 SCT credits, and requires the approval of 10 credits or more in complementary courses. Additionally, at the end of their third semester, the doctoral candidate must present and defend a thesis project before an evaluation committee, whose approval will award them the status of degree candidate. In order to complete their studies and achieve the Doctorate academic degree, the prepared thesis must constitute an original contribution to knowledge, which will be defended before an evaluation committee.
Students accepted into the Program must pay the following annual fees for 2021.
- Registration Fee: $150.000 CLP
- Annual program fee: $2,550,000 CLP
- This is an accredited doctoral program, therefore, all regular students, including new entrants, may apply for ANID scholarships meant for doctoral studies. For more information, read: https://www.anid.cl/concursos/
- Foreign students may apply to AGCI scholarships in their home country. For more information, read: https://www.agci.cl/index.php/becas/becas-para-extranjeros
- Program Fee Release scholarships exempt their beneficiary from the obligation to pay their respective program’s tuition fees, either fully or partially. However, they must still pay the registration fee in full.
- Academic Excellence scholarships are awarded to postgraduate students in accredited programs or programs in accreditation or reaccreditation processes (with a report sent to the accrediting entity), considering the beneficiary’s academic merits, and they consist in a reduction of the program’s total tuition fees along with a monthly allowance. However, they must still pay the registration fee.
- Financial Aid to attend congresses, which consists in support for accredited postgraduate students (or those in the accreditation process), will be granted after an application process that is available twice a year (first semester of each year for congresses taking place within that year’s second semester, and second semester for those taking place in the following year’s first semester). This support will consist of a financial aid equivalent to a verifiable maximum of 15 UF for national congresses and 25 UF maximum for international congresses. For this purpose, that year’s January 2nd UF value will be used.
- Productivity Allocation scholarships are intended to incentivize students taking postgraduate programs to publish their research in scientific journals. If the publication is in a journal indexed in Web of Science’s (WoS) Journal Citation Report (JCR), this will consist of 15 UF. If the publication is in the SCOPUS or Scielo systems, this will consist of 6 UF. For this purpose, that year’s January 2nd UF value will be used, and it will only be awarded once per publication.
- Other scholarships, without excluding the aforementioned benefits, Research Centers or other units within the University may use their own resources to provide the University’s graduate students with other benefits.
More information at: ANID Scholarships
In addition to the Master’s and Doctoral degree application requirements established by the General Regulation of Postgraduate Teaching, the Program has the following requirements:
- To hold a Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in different fields of sciences related to Aquatic Systems: Biologists, Marine Biologists, Marine Ecologists, Aquaculture Engineers, Oceanographers and other Professions and Degrees in related areas, both national and foreign.
- Demonstrating research experience through scientific publications, congresses, and participation in projects is desirable.
Professional experience 10%
Requests for Documents
Each candidate must fill an application form to apply, accompanied by a cover letter explaining their motivations to participate in this program and their future plans. Along with this, they must attach their CV, ID, grades report, professional diploma, and two letters of recommendation. These letters must be sent directly to the Program’s head academic, Dr. Pedro Echeveste (email@example.com), and at least one of them must be issued by an academic from their original university.
Shortlisted candidates will be submitted to an interview with the Program’s Board, so as to assess the candidate’s scientific ability.
Applicants document reception closing date: November 30, 2022 (estimated).
Applicants document reception’s closing date is an estimation and will depend on the calling date for ANID’s National Doctoral Scholarships. Check in https://www.anid.cl/concursos